I have done three things today that I have never done before. I voted early, I used an electronic voting machine, and I voted a straight party ticket.
My usual polling place is at the little elementary school down the street. I've lived here for 10+ years, and every two years I've walked out my front door with my voter registration in hand and my crib notes in another, and stood in line with my neighbors to vote. But not this year.
The Primary race was a madhouse. More people showed up to vote there than I've ever seen in all 10 years of my voting in my 'hood. We waited in line for hours, then waited another several hours to caucus for our precinct. I decided that this year, voting early was the way to go. So this time I got in my car and drove down to the fire station. This year they were using electronic voting machines and my hackles went up. I've always used paper ballots. As a former web application programmer, I'm a big fan of paper ballots. These, however, were not touch-screens, they appeared to work properly, and I reviewed my vote before I cast it, and it was correct.
This is the first time I've voted a straight party ticket for the Democrats. I'm an independent voter and always have been. Though I lean heavily democratic, there are plenty of local Republicans in city and county positions who are worth supporting. This year, these folks were either running unopposed, or their democratic challengers were polling at such a tiny minority I knew that a vote for them wouldn't affect my preferred candidate's job. There are three guys I am proud to vote for this year. My first pick is a National Guard Vet named Rick Noriega, and he's facing a tough Senate race against a weasely white guy, and needs my vote. The other two are of course, Obama and Biden. Even though there isnt' a chance in hell of them taking an electoral vote from Texas, I want to vote for the good guys.
So friends, let me encourage you to get your butts to the polls before Friday, so you won't have to stand in line for hours in the madhouse that will be Nov. 4. Vote for whomever you please, and remember if you dont' vote, you lose your right to bitch about politics.
3 comments:
Yay for early voting indeed! I went last Wednesday. There was no line and no wait. It took me longer to park and get in the building than it did to sign in and vote. :)
I'm free to bitch as I please!
I also voted early for the first time ever. In 2006, we waited in line 3 hours to vote for our current Govenor. I really didn't want the same issues or long wait again. This election is too important.
We always vote early and this year was no exception. I personally like NOT waiting in line. Also, I have this fear that if I wait until election day, something will happen and I won't get to vote. And frankly, they can have my vote when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Our choices may not always be what we'd like them to be, but a vote is truly all we really have.
Post a Comment